Re: Oracle 7.3.2.3 import performance

From: Jim <jimmorgan_at_csi.com>
Date: 1998/03/13

I don't think it's so trivial when you consider that all other databases do it that way except Oracle. Heck, it's been done that way for ages. I will agree, however, that once you know how to do it, it's easy, and you might be able to make a case that it's "better". If you happen to be sitting next to someone experienced with Oracle it's no problem. If you are all new to Oracle, you wouldn't know where to look.

So what I'm saying is, with the good stuff that's in Oracle they could have made room for exports to a comma-delimited file just like everyone else does.

--
Regards,
Jim
Joel Garry wrote in message <6e9s83$iij$1_at_pebble.ml.org>...

|In article <6e668p$1hho$1_at_ausnews.austin.ibm.com>,
|Jim <jimmorgan_at_csi.com> wrote:
|>I think it's horrible the Oracle does not provide an easy way to export =
|>data into a comma-delimited file, like every other database on the =
|>planet does. You can create a comma-delimited file by using SQL*PLUS =
|>and the spool command, but you have to turn off all of the headings, =
|>page breaks, etc to get it to work.
|>
|>This is especially stupid since Oracle does support loading their tables =
|>with comma-delimited files. So they make it easy to switch your =
|>database to Oracle but difficult to switch your database away from it.
|>
|>I'd recommend getting the book 'Oracle for Dummies' which actually gives =
|>an example of how to do this.
|
|It is so trivial to do that the complaint is pretty silly.
|
|It's only a problem when you are already out of time because the import is
|taking too long.
|--
|"See your DBA?" I AM the @#%*& DBA!