Snapshot - Replication

From: <haripriya_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/03/12

Hi All,

I have a problem and need URGENT HELP. Here is the Background which is followed by questions.

Background:

I need to pull data from an Oracle remote site to the local oracle server. The data at remote site is archived and purged every night so that only the most recent 45 days' records remain. I followed the approach of creating snapshots at the local server to pull data from remote server once in every 30 minutes.

This works fine when the data at remote server undergoes inserts and updates. But if there are deletes(due to archiving and purging), the refresh process checks the snapshot log and the archive log for recorded transactions and attempts to search the deleted rows on the remote server leading to unpredictable behavior.

Questions:

  1. Does this really happen? Am i missing something here?
  2. If so, are there any alternatives of going around this problem? (since data over 45 days old undergo deletion every day).
  3. If this is unavoidable, what are other ways of pulling data from remote sites periodically ?

TIA
Haripriya