Re: Oracle is painfully slow when doing massive INSERTs

From: Vishal <vka68_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/03/12

Morten Myrvold wrote:

> Joel Garry wrote in message <6e78ev$sdj$1_at_pebble.ml.org>...
> >Do you have indexes? Have you done this without them, rebuilding
> afterwards?
> No, there are no indices (PKEYS exist, they're needed to verify that the
> data is valid)
>
> >Are you running in archivelog mode with too small
> >logfiles (how often are the switches?)? How big is your SGA? Perhaps it
 is
> >too big causing swapping? Are all your Oracle files on one disk?
> We're using Oracle 7.3.3.0.0, with all the default settings (whatever that
> is). And yes; all
> our Oracle files reside on the same disk. I'll try checking the SGA...

 Are there any forigen key constraints also present. these can slow down the inserts. As all your files are on the same disk, try to check at the OS level, whether there is a disk I/O contention.

Also check wheher you are in archive log mode, you can do this by issuing following command from the svrmgr manager line mode

ARCHIVE LOG LIST; If you are check the alert log file, for possible archive completion errors. Try increasing the no and size of redo log files.

Vishal Received on Thu Mar 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST