Re: Raw Partitions and Oracle

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/12

Jonathan Lewis wrote in message <01bd4c67$0814b840$294b989e_at_WORKSTATION>...

>Billy, this sounds odd. What is the problem ?

Besides having finished my last bottle of Tennessee whiskey and still waiting for that mail order Pamela home videos to arrive, nothing much - or is there a problem!? [looking worried]

>I know that the logical volume/raw devices has to be one Oracle block
>larger than the 'datafile' that Oracle is aware of, but 20MB seems a
>bit large. Is this an extent-related thing you use to cover gc_lock
>granularity ?

Nah, got nothing to do with Oracle, it's related to the platform and the Unix version we're using. If I do try and create a 1GB datafile (or even one that's larger than 980MB) on a 1GB raw slice, Oracle returns an operating system error about attempting to read and write beyond the eof of that raw slice. I'm not sure what the overheads are being used for - but we are mirroring all the raw disks. Maybe this, in addition to the volume manager, require that much space for the overheads? I've asked the vendor, but they are not sure (the support guys are not "nitty-gritty" technical).

regards,
Billy Received on Thu Mar 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST