Re: Naming Convention for Columns

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/12

In article <3505ad61.266543_at_read.news.global.net.uk>, Keith Boulton <boulkenospam_at_globalnet.co.uk> wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:52:07 GMT, jeff_kalchik_at_spammenot.mw.3com.com
>(Jeff Kalchik) wrote:
>

>>While I appreciate your .sig line, I absolutely disagree with your
>>naming convention. I'll fire anyone who pulls that kind of s**t
>>working for me. It creates absolutely unmaintainable systems. I've
>>got enough grief with underscores and dashes not being consistent; I
>>don't need to worry about what's in T3.C47.
>>

>I assumed the poster was being ironic.
>
>Having said that, I did work for an organisation once which had DB2
>naming conventions where table and column names were limited to 8
>characters. The first three characters were a system mnemonic,
>followed by a five digit number i.e. select xyz00024, xyz00057 from
>xyz11003.

I worked in Basic+ with two character fieldnames... it was sort of maintainable, only occassionally would someone forget a name was in use already, causing payroll to... oh nevermind.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com