Re: Naming Convention for Columns

From: Michael Leo <mleo_at_cariboulake.com>
Date: 1998/03/12

Jeremy Rickard <Jeremy_at_SPAM.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In article <3505ad61.266543_at_read.news.global.net.uk>, Keith Boulton
> <boulkenospam_at_globalnet.co.uk> writes
>
> >Having said that, I did work for an organisation once which had DB2
> >naming conventions where table and column names were limited to 8
> >characters. The first three characters were a system mnemonic,
> >followed by a five digit number i.e. select xyz00024, xyz00057 from
> >xyz11003.
>
> That's nothing! I worked for an international (US based) company which
> had one system with 4 character column names. These were abbreviations
> of the full attribute names - in Norwegian, naturally.

Hah!

I once worked for a company that re-used bits that fell out of the ends of disconnected cables. If you got your weekly status reports in late you were chosen to sort them into piles of '1's and '0's.

Michael Leo mleo_at_cariboulake.com mal_at_visi.com Caribou Lake Software http://www.cariboulake.com Java/RDBMS/Ingres Solutions St. Paul, Minnesota (612) 323-9713

I DARE you to ask me about our Java solutions ... Received on Thu Mar 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST