Re: ms-sql vs oracle on NT or UNIX?

From: Sean Kelly <sean.k_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/03/12

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998 20:33:10 -0500, "Clay Davidson" <clay_at_his.com> wrote:

>Our app runs fine with Oracle on NT with up to 50 concurrent users. Of
>course you need multiple pentium pros and generally about 256K memory ( more
>the better) and a fast disk subsystem

Umm.... what?! I agree with everything you had said thusfar, but this is absurd. 50 concurrent users requiring a multi pentium pro? At my last job we were running MS SQL 6.0 on a P90 doing realtime processing with considerably more than 150 concurrent connections on a > 1 gig database with no trouble at all. I guess it's all in database design and what you're doing though.

>My opinion on NT/UNIX is to use UNIX on a risc box when possible but if
>there are constraints, NT is a good but not great server. The price for
>hardware is much cheaper but the OS is also less stable. I generally tell
>folk to reboot thier server once a week at a minimum as NT 'gets tired'.

Yes. This is because the OS and the apps that run on it are all poorly written, and they have a tendency to get in each other's way.

As far as performance. On NT, MS SQL is arguably the fastest SQL server, if probably also the most buggy. With UNIX vs. NT, UNIX will win hands down every time, but it is also much more expensive and takes a greater amount of skill to properly set up and maintain.

-Sean Received on Thu Mar 12 1998 - 00:00:00 CST