Re: Raid 5 vs mirroring

From: George Faison <gsf_at_writeme.com>
Date: 1998/03/11

Jim,

I can tell you that I implemented a RAID level 5 based solution on the IBM RS/6000 platform with excellent results. You would need 5 disks minimum for this. You will hear lots of back and forth on the performance, but our performance was excellent and we had hot-swappable disks with automatic rebuild, etc. so any down-time would be minimal (we never had any due to the high-reliability of the IBM disks in the couple of years I was there). I would think the other major platforms would give similar results for the most part. You can't go wrong w/mirrored disks, but RAID is cheaper and I think a very reasonable choice, especially given the reliability of today's disks and servers.

Good luck!

George Faison