Re: Oracle is painfully slow when doing massive INSERTs

From: <umpaul18_at_cc.umanitoba.ca>
Date: 1998/03/11

In article <3506e57f.7310326_at_news.anc.net>,   jcoy@??shizz.net (John Coy) wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 20:00:17 +0100, "Morten Myrvold"
> <someone_at_somwehere.no> wrote:
> >
> >It seems to me that it all boils down to one thing: Oracle's just plain
> >painfully slow on massive INSERT's....
> >
> Just kind of a followup to this, I've also noticed that on Oracle 7.3
> the import utility is painfully slow as well. I can export data quite
> speedily, but when I use the import utility, it takes *hours* to
> import data that only took a few minutes to export.
>
> Is this normal?

G'day!

When you export a table you can set a flag to do an analyze when it is imported. As far as I know there is no (nice) way to make a table that was exported with the analyze flag set, import without an analyze.

Check if you're setting this flag (or if it's the default, I don't have documentation handy). This could explain your problem.

Stay Casual,

Ken