Re: Recreating SID on Dec Alpha openvms

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/11

First, phone Oracle. Second, take a full cold backup *before* you touch anything.

You CAN change the database name and SID without imp/exp the whole database and recreating it from scratch. Oracle will email you a detailed Tech. Support note on how to do this for your platform (I've had them for both UNIX and NT). You may also want to look on the ODP (Oracle Developer Program) CD-ROM, as most of the Tech. Notes are on it, as well as the Oracle MetaLinks Web site.

The procedure basically revolves around creating a SQL create script of your control file ('alter database backup control file to trace') and editing the traced control file and running it. You'll also have to edit your 'init' files. See the Tech. Notes for details.

Steve Phelan.