Re: Novell vs. NT Server!

From: Jim Anderson <anderson_at_ci.lincoln.ne.us>
Date: 1998/03/10

One nice thing that I found with Oracle for Netware is NDS authentication. You can authenticate users through NDS rather than Oracle, meaning that an Oracle user must be authenticated to Netware in order to connect to Oracle. It is more secure than normal OS authentication because REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT is set to false. This would be a nice feature if your users currently have Netware accounts and you don't want to create additional accounts for them in Oracle. This would prevent them from having to remember another account/password combination. In addition, you can map an entire NDS group to a single database login, making the admin job easier.

As for stability, I can't compare with NT, but compared to UNIX Oracle is not as stable on Netware. I've encountered a few more problems on Netware than I do on UNIX. Also, the ability to manage Oracle from the OS is not very robust, e.g. killing processes, users, etc. I've had a few cases where an NLM gets stuck unloading and I have had to reboot the whole server to fix the problem. On UNIX it's much easier to kill processes. I would hope that NT has something similar to this.

HTH,
Jim Anderson