Re: Database Design Problem...

From: Birdman <fanjun_at_writeme.com>
Date: 1998/03/10

Hi, Jimmy:

I think it is better that you use book_name as primary key instead of book_id. But you should not delete book_id in both table. You still use it just as a foriegn key to manipulate tables. It is easy and handful way and possibly saving space. The benefit using book_name as primary key is, when you wrongly register new books with name already existing in your table, database server will be promting you error occurs, wherease, if you use book_id as primary key, unless you define additional index on book_name, database server will not find it is an error. In your case, I think the index on book_name is possibly necessary. So, making the name primary, you could get more advantages.

Regards Received on Tue Mar 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST