Re: Naming Convention for Columns

From: David Matheson <dmathes_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1998/03/10

I've been drinking (a little) and I'll come back when I'm less inebriated - if I spelt that correctly I'm not so badly (inebriated)- but I was delighted by all the responses to your post. I'm a Data Administrator (caps cos I think we're VP)

The thing that inspired me is the number of responses you got and the fact that lots of people think the issue is sufficiently important to talk about.

Even five years ago, I think you would have got very different responses and they would have been dominated by the programmer point of view.

Now data management is a big issue and the programmer's domain is being undermined.

This is a step in the right direction (in my view) and, as an old DA, I want to emphasise the value of Chris Date's advice (he's said it all) - but ignore what he says about default values!!!

In diversion, every column should (must) be defined according to the entity model describing the business and, where two or more columns have the same name, then they are the same.

The entity model will use user recognisable terms.

If the DBMS you are using imposes restictions think again. adelamerens_at_fisi-madison.com wrote in message <6dov9f$ivn$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>In article <6dnbes$6r5_at_newsops.execpc.com>,
> dave.mullen_at_emjay.com (Dave Mullen) wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We are setting up new database naming conventions, and I'd like to
>> hear other people's thoughts on what they consider to be important
>> considerations.
>>
>> In particular, I'd like to know how people feel about prefixing the
>> names of columns in a relational data base with a short prefix
>> representing the table to which the column belongs. (Foreign keys
>> would retain the prefix of the foreign table, [clip]

newsreading Received on Tue Mar 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST