Re: Oracle7.3.2/EMC Storage Implementation

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/09

In article <6e1h5l$9tt$1_at_orthanc.reference.com>,  <devendra_moharir_at_NoSPAM-3454.bbs.bellsouth.com> wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Recently our organization purchased EMC storage system and
>we are in the process of migrating our oracle 7.3.2 databases
>on sun solaris 2.5.1 with external disk packs to this EMC
>storage systems(model 5700)and thus getting rid off external
>disk packs.
>
>It will be a RAID-1 storage system.
>
>Our dilemma is how to get the best of this setup for performance
>as well as fault tolerance.Where should oracle system stuff
>(system, users , tools, temp databases) reside ?on the host sun system or on EMC ?

Call Oracle and ask, apparently there have been a couple of weirdnesses having to do with storage arrays on Solaris. I can't recall what they are offhand, but when I had some problems, they told me about a couple of calls. The problems I had were solved by setting an init.ora parameter about intimate shared memory, I think there was a conflict with the Veritas software.

Don't put the Oracle executable on a mirrored system, apparently it can cause problems by having an executable open when a disk fails and there is failover involved. I believe I saw this mentioned on a sun list of bugs.

The advanced Oracle Tuning book from Oracle Press has a good couple of paragraphs on this. Also, the most recent cdroms of the IOUG proceedings have some excellent papers. You can get them from http://www.saga.is/cgi-bin/keybooks

>Has anybody out there used this ? Is it good to put all these
>temps, redos, RBS for these instances on one EMC unit ?
>BTW, we do not run any application in archive log mode.

You might have a desire to use archivelog mode, so that you can backup by tablespace rather than have a database so huge it can never be backed up.

>out of these 4 databases we will be putting on EMC only one
>is of 100+ GB. Other are < 25 GB
>
>Any feedback/suggestions will be most appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Devendra
>please mail at : devendra_moharir_at_bbs.bellsouth.com
>PS : Remove NoSPAM-3454. from email address if you use 'reply'.

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry
"See your DBA?"  I AM the @#%*& DBA!