Re: Seeking advice on system architecture

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/03/09

Steve Pax wrote in message ...
>I have inheretited a project that requires 24 hr 7 day a week
>availability. Probably that can be weakened slightly.
>
>The project is committed to using Oracle 8 on NT server,
>on two Compaq Proliant 2500 servers with 8 Gig each and RAID 5.
>In actuality the DB only requires 500 Meg of table space.
>It will be coded in PowerBuilder 5.

24x7 on an Intel platform running NT with <splutter> Powerbuilder front-ends!!

Have you considered getting Microsoft Prayer? It's a little daemon that runs in the background praying to the deity of your choice that nothing will crash. :-)

Seriously though, you will have to look at configuring the 2nd Compaq as a hot standby, and then test it -thoroughly-. As for backups, don't rely solely on DATs (I assume your using the DAT drives on the Compaqs for backups?). We have had DATs failing on us several times. So either make another DAT copy of every backup, or some other backup media in addition.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Mar 09 1998 - 00:00:00 CST