Re: Oracle 7.3.3 and Dev/2000 on NT 4.0 and TNS Listener

From: Jan Dijkstra <j.dijkstra_at_alcatel.de>
Date: 1998/03/09

Hi Michael,

I had the exact same problem, adding Dev2k 2.0 to an existing 7.3.2 server
on my notebook.
In the release notes to Dev2k 2.0, it says that one shouldn't install the
product in the same ORA_HOME when the server release is below 7.3.4. I didn't have 7.3.4 at hand, so I re-installed SQL*Net client from 7.3.2 server CD (ignoring warnings that I'm trying to install old stuff over new stuff).
The problem with tnslistener consuming 100% cpu time (and by the way producing a huge trace dump file) had gone and everything worked perfect.
So I thought first.
The next problem appeared when trying to run report builder software. All programs, when started, immediately come up with error message, indicating procedure 'nldotrc' having no entry point in 'NLNT.DLL'. NLNT.DLL is part of SQL*Net client software - I copied the file from Dev2k-CD into ORANT\BIN, overwriting the existing file (good idea to backup the old one first).
Now all works fine.

Hope this helps

Jan

:Michael Chan wrote:

:>
:> I am trying to run Oracle7 Workgroup Server (7.3.3) and
 Developer/2000 (2.0)
:> on the same machine.
:>
:> I installed O7 onto a Pentium II 233Mhz with 128M and it runs fine.
 I can
:> run SQL*Plus and create a database alias with no problems as well as
 running
:> the included DBA tools.
:>
:> Then I installed Dev/2000 onto the same machine with Oracle
 Installer, and
:> after installation, the TNS Listener started taking all the CPU
 time. Task
:> Manager shows the CPU pegged at 100% consistently. I looked at
 running
:> processes and the TNS Listener is consuming all the time although I
 am not
:> running any of the O7 tools nor D2K. I cannot reasonably run
 anything on
:> the machine and have to stop the TNS Listener process.
:>
:> I noticed installing D2K upgraded several Required Support Files as
 well as
:> the Oracle TCP/IP adapter version. My computer does not have an
 adapter
:> card but I have installed the Microsoft Loopback adapter.
:>
:> Has anyone encountered a similar problem before?