Re: Ora8 NT problem

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/09

In article <6e0rcr$7gs$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>, Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote:
>Joel Garry wrote in message <6dq7nm$7e8$1_at_pebble.ml.org>...
>>
>>But seriously, you created the controlfile before recovering the db.
>>See "Roll Forward" in the Oracle Press Backup book - you probably
 completely
>>confused Oracle as to which checkpoint SCN's were looked at.
>

>How can you get your database up without having a control file containing
>the list of all the datafiles? The init.ora file only contains the paths for
>dumps and traces and the name of the controlfile. If you use recover, how
>would it know what to recover?

I didn't say you could. Either you created a control file from a 'backup controlfile from trace', or you used a control file from before the system disk crash. If the former, and you correctly modified the controlfile creation script to reflect the new data file names, then you should complain to oracle (and here) that it should handle this situation. If the latter, it's amazing oracle got as far as it did. Since the first tablespace is considered the system tablespace, if the first datafile was a bad filename, it might try to recover the first tablespace in the second as the system tablespace, maybe that's where it got the recovery 1 higher than you expected.

It's also possible you were doing something tricky to try to get the drives to appear to be lettered correctly. I've seen dual-boot 95/NT machines get hopelessly muddled over this, independent of any particular apps.

Sorry I don't have your original post handy as I write this, but we may need more details as to what exactly you did.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com