Re: Cost of Ownership

From: Michael Segel <Mikey_at_NOSPAM.KingofMyDomain.MAPSON.Segel.com>
Date: 1998/03/08

Kent Milligan wrote:

> Look at the Database Surveys in the April & May '97 issues
> of Computerworld where DB2 came out on top.
>
> --
> Kent Milligan, DB2/400 Solutions Team
> AS/400 Partners In Development
> kmill_at_us.ibm.com
> GO HAWKEYES!!
> (opinions stated are not necessarily those of my employer)

First, while I like Hayden Fry, Iowa hasn't had a decent team since '86 when they were #1 coming into Ohio State and we kicked their butt. Stick to Wrestling. ;-)

Second, AS/400? I thought they went the way of the RT?

Third, while DB2 may have some good points, I think you need to see the latest TPC-D benchmarks.
SUN/Informix kicked IBM , NCRs butts. Not only in the total cost of system, but
the number of transactions. NCR was close, but their cost was $4 Million (USD) more
than Sun. (Or something like that.)

The real test for TCO, would be to port Informix,Oracle,Sybase, heck even DB2 to Linux.
Then you can't beat it. (Cost per transaction that is!)

-Just a tip from your Uncle Mikey. Received on Sun Mar 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CST