Re: Price Sybase, Oracle, Informix to compete with NT-sqlserver

From: Bob Nightingale <rnightingale_at_comshare.com>
Date: 1998/03/08

Oooh, someone wants to start another religious war. For a large database system, the initial cost of the operating system or RDBMS is minor compared to the labor required to maintain the system. Perhaps SQL Server on NT will be the de facto standard in six or seven years. Even so, Sybase, Oracle, Informix and IBM/DB2 have gobs of data that won't go away.

Competing database vendors may go the way of spreadsheets and word processors. I think you have it backwards: the most-used applications will eventually become options to the operating system, not the other way around. Microsoft also understands that if they don't put out products that customers want, they will go somewhere else.

OBTW, I'm using MS Outlook Express to reply to this message. --Bob.