db_block_checkpoint_batch

From: <bdg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/03/06

I'm trying to eliminate "Checkpoint not complete." messages in the alert log. The alerts are most prevalent during a SQL*Loader run. I'm up to 1.4 GB of online redo logs (I really want to lower this to about .5 GB) and have the checkpoint process running. I came across the db_block_checkpoint_batch init.ora parameter in the Oracle Performance Tuning book (O'Reily & Assoc). It seems to be relevant to the problem, but there was no indication of what would be considered a relatively high value. Has anyone successfully applied this parameter and if so, what was found to be an appropriate value?

Any sort of heuristic such as doubling the value, halves the amount of time taken to to complete a checkpoint would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Brian Gastineau
bgastine_at_giveblood.org