Re: PL/SQL: stored function called from SQL hangs... sometimes

From: H. John C. Hopkins <john_nospam_at_hpe.ufl.edu>
Date: 1998/03/06

I should add that after successfully returning a value from a select on dual, I then get:

SQLWKS> select app_format.app_soundex('TOUCHSTONE') from dual; APP_FORMAT.APP_SOUNDEX('TOUCHSTONE')

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error
ORA-06512: at "BMT.BMT_FORMAT", line 3
ORA-06512: at line 1

Then I select a different function:

SQLWKS> select substr('TOUCHSTONE',1,3) from dual; SUB

---
TOU

1 row selected.

And then, I try the soundex again:

SQLWKS> select app_format.app_soundex('TOUCHSTONE') from dual;
APP_FORMAT.APP_SOUNDEX('TOUCHSTONE')
----
T235

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!