PL/SQL: stored function called from SQL hangs... sometimes

From: H. John C. Hopkins <john_nospam_at_hpe.ufl.edu>
Date: 1998/03/06

Hello.

I could use a tip here. I'm porting a VB soundex function (yes, I know Oracle has one, but this one's a little better) to PL/SQL. The function is called app_soundex, and I've put it in a package called app_format.

The spec is:

  FUNCTION app_soundex (str_in IN VARCHAR2) RETURN VARCHAR2

I need to use this function in SQL. So, I try a simple call:

   SELECT app_format.app_soundex('TOUCHSTONE') FROM dual;

and I get 'T235' returned. Good. Then I try

   SELECT app_format.app_soundex(last_name) FROM customers;

and Oracle hangs up. I have to kill the session! I must be missing something...

Many thanks for your help. Please post in newsgroup, or reply to john_at_hpe.ufl.edu. Received on Fri Mar 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST