Re: Price Sybase, Oracle, Informix to compete with NT-sqlserver

From: <gold_bag_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1998/03/06

Jeremy Rickard wrote:

> In article <34FF689F.3F6F_at_p3.net>, Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
> writes
>
> >Since Oracle is already outselling SQL Server on NT why should they cut
> >their price?
>
> Hmmm, selling it is one thing; but aren't MS bundling SQL Server with NT
> BackOffice?
>
> Are there any independent figures for NT database share yet? Where does
> DB2 UDB figure? Despite the quality of the product, I suspect IBM may
> have a mindshare problem, judging from the posts to these groups.
>
> --
> Jeremy Rickard

Errrrr..There is some confusion. Let me make it more clear:

	Cost of Windows NT = $800
	Cost of Sybase on NT = $700 (Is this figure right?)
	Total cost  = $1500

My suggestion was sybase corporation should sell sybase+linux cdrom for $1500
(note $800 which could otherwise might have gone to microsoft WILL go to sybase corporation!! Sybase will get $800 for linux operating system without putting
ANY EFFORT!!) For the customers it is going to be same cost whether it NT+sybase
or Linux+sybase and sybase on linux will be much faster than sybase on NT.
Is this not a good idea?? I hope Sybase/Informix/oracle corp CEO will read this message.

My original message was as follows: -
A good suggestion for Sybase,oracle and informix corporations:

Suggestion 1:
To compete with Microsoft NT+SQLserver, sybase, oracle and informix must port their RDBMS to LINUX(Intel) and price the product such that it is equal to cost of NT OS + cost of (sybase, oracle,informix) on NT

That is, sybase, oracle, informix MUST pocket the cost of the operating system (i.e Windows NT)!! Linux is free anyway. Sybase must take full advantage of LINUX being FREE and YET pocket the money selling LINUX for the COST of WINDOWS NT!! Microsoft will be caught from behind!
This way the stock of oracle, informix and sybase will boom!

I will bet many companies will be willing to buy that. Sybase on linux will
perform better than sybase on NT.

Suggestion 2:
Oracle, informix, sybase must distribute LInux+RDBMS on a single cdrom. They can pick
one of distributions like RedHat.

The point is - enemy of oracle, sybase, informix is === Micro..so....ft. Received on Fri Mar 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CST