Re: Median function in SQL

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/06

In article <34FD6DD6.3081E539_at_iname.com>, S Chavali <nospam_at_iname.com> wrote:
>Dave,
>I believe the snippet of code below will return the *mode* value, not the
>*median*. If I remember my statistics right, *median* is the "middle" value is a
>list of ascending/descending values while the *mode* value is the number that
>occurs most often in such a list.
>Anybody else have any other thoughts ?

Something like
select revenue from company_financials
where rownum = round((select count(*) from company_financials)/2) order by revenue; ?

Haven't tried it, just thinking.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com