Re: NT striping dangerous with Oracle 7 or 8?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/03/05

In article <6djknn$uu$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, <bdurrett_at_ccci.org> wrote:
>I think you are right Steve. Our new building is supposed to have a UPS and a
>generator to backup up our system, so that would theoretically prevent the
>battery backup from running out. But if the power went out on a weekend and
>things didn't work with the generator we would still be toast when the battery
>backup ran out.

I worked in a place once that had just installed a huge UPS and Detroit Diesel generator. One day, the alarm on the ups went off. My boss kept resetting it, and it kept going off. Finally, he put a piece of tape over the alarm reset button. I had a feeling if the thing was complaining, something was wrong, so I went for a little walk, and saw the diesel was running. Turned out the thing had a swimming-pool style timer, set to turn the thing on once a week. But of course, no one set it to turn off, so both line voltage and generator voltage were being fed into the UPS. Unlike line voltage, the frequency of the generator voltage varied by several Hz, so no wonder the UPS was screaming... as two times 220V went in and out of phase...

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry@eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com