Re: Does 7.3.3 command COALESCE tablespace work ?

From: Phil Hoggins <philh_at_sequent.com>
Date: 1998/03/05

news.neighbornet.net <suresh_at_neighbornet.net> wrote in article <01bd47ca$b842e6c0$a504fa80_at_mndnet>...
> I have tried to use -- alter tablespace the_tablespace_name coalesce
 --
> to defragment a tablespace. Then I looked at the table dba_free_space
> see if the free space has been made contiguous. I did not see any
> improvement. Has anyone tried it ? Does it work ?
>
> Thanks

It will only coalesce adjacent free blocks into larger free blocks thus reducing the number of free space pockets within a tablespace and allow for larger objects to be created. If you have lots of none adjecent free space the only way to tidy it up is to export the objects drop them (or the tablespace) and recreate.

Phil   Received on Thu Mar 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CST