Re: Backup of Oracle on Solaris 2.6

From: Dave <dhieber_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: 1998/03/05

If it's a production system that you don't want to loose, I'd use a "grandfather" backup scheme. It's a good scheme that protects you pretty well... It also keeps the wear on your tapes to an acceptable level so you dont wind up using old tapes more than you need to by using a rotation schedule. I have a simple version of this that I can send you if you want.

As for the database itself, put it in archive mode, and direct the archive redo logs to a nice cozy directory. Back them up daily and you can rebuild back to the point in time of your last set of logs. If you mirror them (Oracle can do this I think) on another system,(NFS drive, etc) you can essentially rebuild the database back to the exact point of failure.

I'm no expert but I hope this helps -
Reply vs email