Re: Oracle 7.3.2 and NIS (szguns: getpwuid error)

From: Thomas A. La Porte <tlaporte_at_anim.dreamworks.com>
Date: 1998/03/04

Oracle Corporate Support has a very good document that describes this particular problem, and the possible solutions. It is Sol'n # 2063751.6

The basic issue is that Oracle ships MIPS ABI-compliant binaries, and SGI's default implementation of libsocket.so and libnsl.so do not implement NIS functionality.

According to the Oracle solution, you have three options:

  1. Create all users locally in the /etc/passwd file (ugh)
  2. soft link /usr/lib/libsocket.so and /usr/lib/lbic.so.1
  3. Remove "-lsocket" and "-lnsl" and instead create "-lc" in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/sysliblist and relink all Oracle executables