Clustering_Factor

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: 1998/03/04

Hi,

DBA_INDEXES contains a column called 'CLUSTERING_FACTOR'. Oracle computes this when an index is ANALYZEd. This clustering_factor is a number that varies from near the number of table blocks to near the number of table rows.

But what is it, really? What does it mean?

My guess is this:
if I retrieved every row of the table in the sequence of this index, this is how many times I might need to go to a different table block.

Any facts available? Any other guesses?

John Received on Wed Mar 04 1998 - 00:00:00 CST