appending to LONG columns

From: rsood <rsood_at_panix.com>
Date: 1998/03/03

Since LONG columns can only be used in the select part of a select statement I am unable to do an append/update on a long value. A statement such as "update tbl1 set long_column=long_column || 'abc' " causes ORA-00932 ("Inconsistent datatypes") Is there any way to append data to a long or a long raw column? If we're only adding a few words to a huge long value it shouldn't be necessary to include the entire text as a string literal in an update statement.

Pls post, or reply to:
R. Sood
rsood_at_panix.com Received on Tue Mar 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CST