Re: can poor tuning cause database crashes

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/03/03

Irrespective of the crashes, you SHOULD tune and monitor your database anyhow.

As regards the crashes, have you checked the Oracle log files for more info.? Have you contacted Oracle Support? You need to get more info. on what is actually causing the 'crashes'.

Things I can think of (apart from first checking your alert logs) are:

I've used Oracle on most UNIX platforms and found it remarkably stable. Not perfect, sure, but not prone to crashing unexpectedly either. You should NOT have to suffer random crashes. We certainly couldn't afford that in our business.

Steve Phelan.