Re: Shutdown Abort and Backup

From: Doug Burns <dougburns_at_email.msn.com>
Date: 1998/03/03

Why won't it work for media recovery?

Why would the the state of the data and redo log files at the time of the backup affect our ability to perform media recovery long past when the backup was taken. Wouldn't we be using archived redo log files to perform media recovery? If an online redo log file has failed, then a backup of a logfile from a 'clean' backup is going to be no more good for getting the elusive information in the online log file (which I suppose is why we mirror them, because they're never going to be backed up anywhere as such).