Re: Shutdown Abort and Backup

From: Doug Burns <dougburns_at_email.msn.com>
Date: 1998/03/03

Matthias Gresz wrote in message <6ddopm$l89$1_at_news02.btx.dtag.de>...

But wouldn't you just be using the backups for one of 2 reasons

  1. To recover to the point in time when the backup was taken, in which case you restore the online redo log files.
  2. For complete recovery of all committed transactions, in which case you wouldn't.

In any case, Oracle say you must not do this even if you are not in ARCHIVELOG mode, in which case you wouldn't be doing any point-in-time recovery anyway ;-)

>If you backup this way you'll always had to restore also your online redo
logs to be able to recover automatically. So you'll never be able to recover you db close to point it crashed. Assuming your
>db is running in archive mode and you've three online redo logs your state
 while backing up will be:

>archive logs redo logs
> 230 231
> 229 232
> 228 233

Surely this would be a bit more like ...

Archived Online

232            233
231            232
230            231

With 233 being the only log that is required to recover from the SHUTDOWN ABORT

>CRASH
>
>archive logs redo logs
> 410 411
> 409 412
> 408 413
>
>After your restore
>
>archive logs redo logs
> 410 231
> 409 232
> 408 233
>

>How to recover now? You'll only be able to recover till log 233. All
 further changes will be lost.

>For bringing down your db to backup try this:
>

>CONNECT <user>/<pwd>
>SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE;
I have definitely had problems with IMMEDIATE on many occasions and having backups that haven't run, along with a database which is in a shutting-down state whenI come in the next morning is a non-starter on a production database! If I want to avoid using abort, I use STARTUP FORCE RESTRICT followed by a STARTUP (which does the instance recovery) and then a SHUTDOWN NORMAL.