Personal Oracle Lite 3.0 and Java IDEs

From: Wayne Kovsky <wkovsky_at_softwaresummit.com>
Date: 1998/02/28

I am having problems trying to use Personal Oracle Lite 3.0 with either Borland JBuilder 1.01 or Symantec Visual Cafe Pro 2.1. I am able to read and write tables in POL databases using JDBC statements directly, using both Oracle's pure JDBC driver and Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridge, from Java programs that I write using a text editor.

However, when I try to use the "database aware" parts of either JBuilder or Visual Cafe, I am never able to connect to the database. With either IDE, I get this error from Oracle:

    POL-2200 Failed to create mapped file     Cause: The database could not create the shared memory cache area.

    Action: The operating system could be out of virtual memory. Call

              Oracle Customer Support for assistance.

This system has 128MB of RAM and an 8GB drive with lots of space on the paging partition, so it definitely isn't out of virtual memory. I've read all the Oracle documentation, especially looking for any configuration tips. However, the state of the documentation is kind of poor -- for one quick example, the table of contents for the manual "SQL*Plus User's Guide for Windows NT/95" shows a Chapter 4, "SQL*Plus in the Windows NT/95 Environment", with about 10-15 sub-headings for the chapter -- but that chapter does not actually appear in the manual. Heavy sigh.

I hate to even think of calling Oracle, as the error message text suggests; I can hear it now: "Well, since it is working correctly in Java code that you wrote with a text editor, it must be a Borland or Symantec problem; call them." (and of course, the converse if I actually were to call either Borland or Symantec). I'm hoping someone here has seen this error, and knows how to fix it. From the error message text, it appears to be a conflict between the IDEs and Oracle in the way Oracle allocates memory for a shared cache; perhaps there is some configuration setting I've overlooked, either in the IDEs or in Oracle? Or maybe it's just the time of the year ("Beware the IDEs of March")? (sorry)

--
Wayne Kovsky <wkovsky_at_SoftwareSummit.com>
Colorado Software Summit (A Java Programming Conference)