Re: Sort Algorithm

From: Kevin P. Fleming <kfleming_at_access-laserpress.com>
Date: 1998/02/27

If the column(s) being ORDERed are indexed using a traditional B-tree index, then the data will most likely be read from the table in presorted order. This is almost always the most efficient implementation of the ORDER BY clause.

If Oracle has to do the sort without the help of indexes, it may be possible for you to do the sort yourself faster if your client station is significantly more powerful than the server.