Re: Using Oracle SQL over the Internet

From: Bill Robertson <wbrober0_at_NoSpam.wcc.com.NoSpam>
Date: 1998/02/27

This is not a direct answer to all your questions, but I have successfully used SQLPlus over a WindowsNT RAS connection where I dialed into a remote network. With RAS you become a node on the foreign WAN/LAN.

I had to put the foreign computer name and IP address into my TNSNAMES.ORA file. After that it worked beautifly. It worked just as fast as when I am connected to another Oracle server on our company WAN/LAN. I don't see where this is any different that the Internet in theory. However, you will need access in and out of both companies firewall's and security , if these exist.

It seems to me that if you have all the IP's and security issues worked out, it should be possible. The Internet was orginally designed for this sort of thing I believe.

--
Bill Robertson
Woodward-Clyde Group, Inc.