Snapshot problem

From: Todd Storch <todd.storch_at_wang.com>
Date: 1998/02/27

I am in the development stages for a project that will be implementing a corporate database repository with 6 satellite databases connected by ISDN lines.

I tried to use updateable snapshots (Oracle 8) in a refresh group with approximately 50 snapshot members. During the refresh, exclusive table locks were created on the snapshot SNAP$ tables. The refresh time was about 1 minute during which inserts hung until the locks were released. I was refreshing every 5 minutes. My ultimate goal was to partition the snapshots with a WHERE clause in the snapshot create statement, so master to master replication is not an option.

I am now looking at third party replication products from Praxis technology and Sybase, both of which provide horizontal partitioning of a master corporate repository.

Does anybody have any comments or suggestions

Thanks
Todd Storch Received on Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST