Problem with User TEMP space

From: <guan.lee_at_telops.gte.com>
Date: 1998/02/26

I am running Oracle 8.0.3 on NT. After creating a large index (1.2 G), my user temp space size remains the same as 1.2 G. The index was created successfully but the user temp space didn't go away until I recycled my machine. When temp space is emptying out, the oracle is using most of my machine's resource and users have trouble to connect to it. Does anyone know how to set and let the system truncate the user temp space when index is created? or This is the bug of Oracle 8. Thanks for any advise.