Re: Oracle on AIX (Block Size)

From: Steve Phelan <stevep_at_XXnospamXX.toneline.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/25

Be careful here.

Block size is, of course, related to the type of application you are running and how that application is implemented (esp. it's 'locality of reference' to it's data, it's use of large and numerous sequential reads, raw v file system devices, etc.)

I'd agree that 'in general terms' 2K is a little on the low side and 4K is pretty reasonable. However we use 8K for datawarehouses and find that much better for those types of applications.

At the end of the day, testing with real-world data and real-world usage patterns will be the only sure way of achieving an optimal block size for your database and it's associated application(s).

Steve Phelan.