RE:Backup

From: Vinay Joshi <vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/25

Firstly, it is not a good idea to have online redo logs with archive-log files. There will be a lot of disk contention. It is dangerous as well. ie if you tried to run a cron job every hour (assuming you are on a unix platform) that would compress or pack all the log files and then store it to a tape..while doing the compress automatically, imagine what would happen if your current online log file got compressed along with the others.. The database will get stuck and there will be havock. I am saying this because this has happened in the past.

Now to your original question.
you use SQLDBA or server manager (presumably in LINE mode) and issue the command
archive log list

This gives you details like the following:

SQLDBA> archive log list;
Database log mode              ARCHIVELOG
Automatic archival             ENABLED
Archive destination            /home/oracle7/archive/orac7
Oldest online log sequence     784   <------- This is What you are
looking for...Anything prior to this can be archived to tape...
Next log sequence to archive   786
Current log sequence           786

Hope this helps...