Re: Which Database (MySQL, Oracle, mSQL, Protgress etc.)

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/02/24

Geoff Crawford wrote in message ...
>In article <m2u39qlmm9.fsf_at_lucifer.guardian.no>, Bjorn Borud
 <borud_at_guardian.no> wrote:

>>the DBA doesn't usually
>>concern himself with designing applications -- he is in charge of the
>>well-being of the database, sometimes lending a hand when databases
>>are being designed
>
>IMO, here is a really *sad* statement. My software engineering
>background just screams out when I realize that DBA's today
>really don't get involved with app's. It's really sad that there has
>to be a person totally dedicated to a database's "well being".
>Can't the database take care of itself? All of the clients I
>deal with, including the Fortune 50's I consult to, don't have
>this problem with their Progress systems.

I think the fact that DBAs (with respect to Oracle especially) usually do not concern themselves with designing applications needs clarifying. Business is far more complex than it was 10 years ago. The marketing/business window for oppertunity in the past was usually longer than a year. This window today is usually far less than a year. With the "globalisation" of the markets, they predict that the window of oppertunity will become days and even minutes in the future.

What does this means the database environment? Complexity in both data and application far beyond that of a few years ago. Single databases the size of all the databases combined of largest companies in the past. We are pushing the envelope of database technology. The terabyte database is no longer a myth. And as with any complex machinery, there is a greater likelihood of something going wrong. Enter the late 90's DBA or database expert. People that is able to troubleshoot, finetune, maintain and support these databases. And believe me, they have far better things to do than to be part of the application development progress (even if they want to).

Can't databases take care of themselves? Of course they can - depending on numerous factors such as the data volumes in the database, daily transaction volumes, number of users, good front-end application design, stable and robust hardware and operating system platforms, how critical the database is, etc. etc. But if I was the CEO of a large corporate (which I don't want to be - but I would love the money and perks though <grin>), I would want to make sure that my mission critical systems have dedicated people looking after them, because I would want every possible edge over that of my competition.

I don't think it is fair comparing very large and complex databases like those implemented with Oracle with smallish databases implemented with Paradox, Pick, or Progress. You would not compare a F1 Grand Prix racing car with a V12 Nascar, or would you?

My 2'c worth. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Tue Feb 24 1998 - 00:00:00 CST