[Q] Horizontal partitioning of data in a query

From: Peter van Jaarsveldt <vanj_at_dircon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/23

Hi

I'm sure that someone out there is going to give me a really simple, obvious answer to this one!!!

I have a table A which is

    task_number number
    person varchar2
    date_started date
    status VARCHAR2

What I want is an aged report on the number of outstanding tasks by person. Task_number to Person is many to many.
For example:

Name <_1_month_old >1<6_months_old >6<12_months_old Total

John                            20                                3
1        24
Mary                            16                                1
4        21

etc.....

However, the only way I can see of doing this is is by scanning table A 3 times per person, which is not really viable (our table is > 9,000,000 rows).

Anyone got a good solution?

Cheers

Pete Received on Mon Feb 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CST