Re: Limiting returned data from SQL Select Satement

From: Darryl Petruska <dkpetrus_at_data-insight.com>
Date: 1998/02/23

Sorry about the misinformation!! ORDER BY does not work. However, using a GROUP BY clause with an in-line view does. So a query such as

select * from
(select empno, ename, sal

     from scott.emp
   group by sal, empno, ename)
where rownum <= 5;

will give you the top five employee numbers and names based on salary.

I had always used a group by with a max or sum of a value in the past. I never tried the order by clause and posted the message without testing it. I hope this revised suggestion helps.