Hotbackups & Redo Logs

From: rwp <randy_prater_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/02/22

I am familiar with using hot backups with Oracle and have used them to recover a tablespace but I have one question for anyone unlucky enough to have had this experience.

When you take a hot backup you get a copy of all your data files, your archive logs, and a "backup" version of your control file. The only files not backed up are your redo log files. This raises a question.

If you are in a disaster situation where you have no database at all to start with and you only have your hot backup (with no redo logs backed up) how do you deal with the fact that the redo logs are not there after you restore this hot backup from tape?

I'll be experimenting with this on a test database but want to know if anyone else has been here before and what you did.

Thanks, rwp. Received on Sun Feb 22 1998 - 00:00:00 CST