Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: What the Oracle listener does with the data it receives from the SQL*Net connections, and how it sends data back.

Re: What the Oracle listener does with the data it receives from the SQL*Net connections, and how it sends data back.

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: 1998/02/22

Hi:

The listener doesn't actually send any data back. It merely watches for a new connection request, grabs that connection request, and passes it to the database processes for an actual connection. In other words, the listener is only used when you are establishing a connection, not while you are using that connection. If you want to verify this, establish a connection, then shut the listener off. Look is v$session, and you will see that you current connection is still there. However, if you try to open another connection, it will be refused and return a TNS error. If you start the listener back up, then you can create another connection. Try it and see.

Good luck,
Dave

 ڼ wrote in message <34EE54B1.9BF30B93_at_korea.com>...

    Hi all,
     I have to create a client that can talk to the listener of the database or create my own listener that can accept both standard SQL*Net: connections and non-standard conections . I need to know what the Oracle listener does with the data it receives from the SQL*Net connections, and how it sends data back.

    I really need it.

    Thanks in advance.

    Sungkwan Park

            츮 Դϴ .