Re: Oracle @ Home

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1998/02/21

Hi Dave,

You need a copy of Oracle Unleashed, a CD ROM drive, Windows 95, 16MB of RAM, and about 500MB of empty disk space. The reason you need the book is that it includes a CD-ROM with Oracle 7.x.x. I thought it was Personal Oracle, but but it really does let you create tablespaces and tables and all of the other esoteric stuff us Oracle DBAs know and love so well :-) When you bring it up and click on that neat little Icon for SQL*Plus 3.2.x you will be presented with the same login dialog box that you see when you click on the same little Icon at work but all you have to specify is the username and password (good ol' SCOTT/TIGER or SYSTEM/MANAGER both work real well) and ignore the box where you would enter the service name at work. Just press the return key and you will soon see the familiar SQL> prompt.

Regards

Jerry