Re: Creating multiple tables within a tablespace

From: Nigel Rudgyard <nigel_at_rudgyard.demon.co.uk.nospam>
Date: 1998/02/21

Although this approach is used widely by other RDBMS vendors (INGRES to name but one) under Oracle it is advisable to group tables into tablespaces.

Within an Oracle environment is not uncommon for all the application tables in a database to be stored within one, or perhaps, two tablespaces. Whether this is the right solution for you is another matter (after glancing at your expected data volumes it almost certainly is not), but having 150 tablespaces would be very difficult to justify - it would be an administrator's nightmare !

This is not only due to the fact that each tablespace must be backed-up individually, but that you are significantly increasing the risk that a tablespace will fill with data and therefore bring you system to a halt. It is wise to allow a certain of space within each tablespace for growth (no matter how accurately you have sized your database), with 150 tablespaces that will result in a lot of unused space.

The situation woud only be aggrievated by the tablespaces which you are presumably reserving for indexes.