Re: ms-sql vs oracle on NT or UNIX?

From: Bob Johnson <send_at_no.junk.mail>
Date: 1998/02/20

Paul Brewer wrote in message ...
>We've found NT to be a very stable platform (for Oracle 7.3), provided
>it is (as Billy says) properly configured. I certainly wouldn't use an
>OS that needed a reboot weekly, or even monthly.
>Main point though; I wouldn't even THINK about using MSSQLServer.
>Reason? If we need to scale quicker than NT can, we can just drop the
>OS, and if necessary the hardware, and just move the database to
 another
>platform. That isn't an option with SQL Server.
>Just my 2 cents.
>--
>Paul Brewer

Paul,

NT and MS SQL Server can scale pretty quickly if you really need it to.

If a box with a GB or so of RAM, 4 Pentium II 333Mhz processors and a bucketful of SCSI controllers and drives is not enough for you, you can always buy an alpha from DEC.

I think NT is scalable but like all o/s's it has a preferred range, certainly this config is at the top end of where it can go until you start distributing it over a range of servers.

Still I'd prefer to use VAX'es if I wanna put a distributed Oracle network together.

Cheers
Bob Johnson Received on Fri Feb 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST