Re:Perfomance decreased while performing a stored procedure

From: Vinay Joshi <vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/20

Without looking at the stored procedure, tables and indexes, pl/sql code it is very difficult to say why it is performing very slowly. However there are a few things that you can look at: Is the procedure loaded completely in memory(Shared pool), if so, are any tables (or rows) being locked which makes other users wait ? What about excessive swapping and paging. Do you shut down your database everynight and restart every morning ? Does your developers follow any coding standards (i.e. on SQL queries, or stored procedures, packages )
Is there a lot of swapping going on in the buffer cache and the shared pool ?

There are a number of possibilities. But 99% of the time it is always a badly written SQL statement that causes problems.

Vinay Joshi
vjoshi_at_pinnacle.co.uk
Pinnacle Insurance Plc
DBA/Support