Re: Converting from VARCHAR2 to CHAR in a view (7.1)

From: Igor Milavec <igor.milavec_at_l-sol.si>
Date: 1998/02/20

Chuck Kincy wrote in message <35067f3e.491313624_at_enews.newsguy.com>...
>>CREATE VIEW "VContact" AS
>>SELECT TO_CHAR(Description, 'SSSSS')
>>FROM "Contact"
>Why do you want to convert from a varchar2 column to a char? Those
>types are usually assignment compatible. And TO_CHAR accepts a number
>and returns a VARCHAR2 anyway.

Hi, Chuck.
Thank you for your reply.

I'm trying to display a list of contacts in an application, written in Delphi. The problem is that Delphi treats VARCHAR2 as a memo field any only displays "(memo)" in the list.
I was thinking of using a view to extract the first 60 characters from the VARCHAR2 and return this information as a CHAR, which Delphi is able to display in a list.

So generally all I need is a way to convert VARCHAR2 to CHAR in a query, but I haven't found any way to do this...

Regards,

              Igor Received on Fri Feb 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CST